The Early Years

The Marion & Ed Hughes Public Library is the culmination of many years
of library service within the City of Nederland. The Orange Hotel housed
1,000 books and was the City's first "library." Later the Jefferson County
Library Bookmobile began visits to Nederland twice a week. When this
proved inadequate for the growing library circulation, a branch station
was opened in Morgan's Dry Cleaners with Mrs. Hazel Morgan acting
as librarian.

In December 1932, the Nederland-Port Neches Lions Club held a
meeting of citizens in the home of Mr. and Mrs. J. H. McNeill, Jr.
and plans were made to erect Nederland's first library building.
All materials and labor were donated with the exception of $200
raised by the finance committee.


The small, white frame building, located at the corner of Boston Avenue and
10th Street, was erected in less than a month and the "housewarming" was
held on December 27, 1932. Mrs. C. E. Gibson served as the librarian for
17 years, not retiring until the age of 74. Active with the financing and
construction were J. L. Black, J. B. Cooke, Jr., C. O. Gardner, J. C. Kelly, and
Dr. Burnette Hall. Reta Duncan (Piland) served as Jefferson County Librarian.