Club House History
The Early Years
The Marion & Ed Hughes Public Library is the culmination of many years of library service within the City of Nederland. The Orange Hotel housed 1,000 books and was the City’s first “library.” Later the Jefferson County Library Bookmobile began visits to Nederland twice a week. When this proved inadequate for the growing library circulation, a branch station was opened in Morgan’s Dry Cleaners with Mrs. Hazel Morgan acting as librarian.
In December 1932, the Nederland-Port Neches Lions Club held a meeting of citizens in the home of Mr. and Mrs. J. H. McNeill, Jr. and plans were made to erect Nederland’s first library building. All materials and labor were donated with the exception of $200
raised by the finance committee.
The small, white frame building, located at the corner of Boston Avenue and 10th Street, was erected in less than a month and the “housewarming” was held on December 27, 1932. Mrs. C. E. Gibson served as the librarian for 17 years, not retiring until the age of 74. Active with the financing and construction were J. L. Black, J. B. Cooke, Jr., C. O. Gardner, J. C. Kelly, and Dr. Burnette Hall. Reta Duncan (Piland) served as Jefferson County Librarian.